Chronicles of Cross-Country Motorcycle Adventure

---

3.14.2010

The Motivation

As the first entry into this journal I figured I might as well mention the motivation behind this cross-country motorcycle trip. It really all started when I was a kid flipping through pictures of my Dad raising hell on two-wheels as a "young buck" in the Air Force. Then came all the stories behind those pictures about riding all over the United States and in Panama that had me hooked. It wasn't that the stories were spectacular or had hair-raising plot twists to them but the freedom of just going on these trips alone and having no responsibilities outside of your line-of-sight interested me. The only thing that mattered to him once he was on the road I'd imagined was what kind of crazy people or event is going to come across his path. I envy that feeling. Couple that with my love of the outdoors that I share with my buddy Cole and my brother and you have a recipe for an amazing adventure.
So here was this fantasy I had built up in my mind festering for decades and the stars had not aligned at any point to allow me to pursue this adventure. Then about a year ago it hit me as personal events in my life began to unfold that everything that had stopped me from even attempting something like this were other people in my life. I would think "Well I probably shouldn't get this motorcycle because I will need money soon for a house down payment" or "I cant take that much vacation just for myself because I probably need to save it to visit family with the girlfriend" blah blah blah.... And then one day it just didnt matter. The girlfriend was gone, the money saved up for the house payment just sitting in the bank, and all the plans I had in my head for the next couple years went out the window. Screw everything else I'm doing it. I got up off the couch picked up my laptop and started planning. I researched the bike I would need, how much time would be needed to cross the country, what National Parks are on the way, and how much money I would need to save to pull this once in a lifetime trip together. And I must admit its much harder to put together than one person might imagine.
Hopefully this hasn't been too much personal information and scared you off from following this blog any further but I felt like I needed to give some context to the story and motivation behind what some might consider an irrational or sudden trip. Plus this might go ahead and answer those questions of "Why all of a sudden are you taking this trip?" To which I answer, "For Me."